I think any girl will agree that dry shampoo is the best thing ever invented, and for me it’s basically life. So it’s safe to say I’ve tried almost every dry shampoo out there, always in search of the best of the best. I’ve found my favorite aerosol version but recently I discovered a loose powder form that is a total game changer…and definitely better for the environment. I’m talking about Stranded dry shampoo!
I came across The Stranded Shop through following their co-founder, Lauren Scruggs Kennedy, on instagram. Lauren and her bestie spent the last three years curating an all natural dry shampoo that was healthy for your scalp and covered the whole hair color spectrum. That’s right, custom dry shampoo for blondes, brunettes AND redheads!
Aside from having three colors option, Stranded dry shampoo is vegan and all natural. It’s completely free of dyes, sulfates, parabens and gluten. They use ingredients like tapioca powder and kaolin which are found in face masks. If you’re not impressed yet…know that a portion of every Stranded purchase goes towards Lauren’s charity, which helps fund prosthetic coverings for girls and women (Lauren herself lost a limb in an accident).
After discovering Stranded and being pulled in by the adorable branding (and natural ingredients), I decided to give their dry shampoo a good test run. I’ve been using it for the past few months, testing it on day 3 of my greasy hair, then again on day 4 and again on day 5. I’m telling you, I really put it to the test and I have to say I’m pretty impressed. Here’s why:
- Volume: It doesn’t weigh down your hair. The loose powder does a great job of soaking up the oil and giving your hair a nice boost of volume. There’s nothing worse than a dry shampoo that makes your hair fall flat. But no issues here!
- Color Match: The brunette powder blended so well into my hair, it was undetectable! Plus, I love that they created a dry shampoo for red heads, I’ve never seen that before!
- Great Smell: The scent is so refreshing, but not overpowering. It adds just the right amount of fragrance to give your hair a nice little pick me up (perfect those days after the gym).
- Layerable: This is the most important quality I look for, I need to be able to live off dry shampoo hair for 2-3 days (don’t judge). Stranded dry shampoo can be layered across days without getting flakey or gross.
- A Little Goes a Long Way: Because you don’t need to use a ton of product each time, the loose powder seems to last much longer than your typical aerosol can. Depending on how often you use it, I think you can easily get 3 months out of one bottle.
- For Good Cause: A portion of the proceeds benefit the Lauren Scruggs Kennedy Foundation which exists to bring hope, restore dignity, and ignite faith in girls and women with limb loss by providing beautiful cosmetic coverings for prostheses.
- Natural Ingredients: Free of dyes, sulfates, parabens and gluten. There’s only six ingredients total.
With all these pros, comes one con. Stranded is slightly pricier than your average dry shampoo. Coming in at $26 it may be more of a splurge for some of us, but I can confidently say it does last longer than an aerosol can of dry shampoo. Plus, if natural ingredients are important to you, then I’d say it’s money well spent!
If you’re a fellow brunette, my advice is to be a little more meticulous with the application process. I’ve found if I get too close to my part line, the brown powder shows up on my scalp which just creates an extra step having to rub it off with a towel.
In case you’re still wondering, the Stranded Shop definitely has my stamp of approval. I love supporting small businesses and finding companies with a cause, so if you’re looking to try a new dry shampoo…don’t wait, go shop Stranded here!
Thanks for reading!