“Every woman looks better in a sundress” -Atmosphere, Sunshine.
The right dress can be hard to find…most are too short (especially when you’re 5’10 like me), others aren’t long enough and some just look so odd on your body type. I’m always on the hunt for an “everyday dress” and this one from Urban Outfitters is my latest find! Since I’m always searching, I feel like I’ve mastered what to look for. Which means, naturally, I had to put together a few tips to help you pick the perfect summer dress!
Photography: J Petite
I love this dress, even more so now that it’s on sale! I’ve always been a sucker for floral print, but the details on this dress were the deal breaker for me. The tiny cutouts around the neckline and bottom of the dress are the perfect touch. Let’s not forget about the back of this dress, I love how it’s just sexy enough but not too revealing (after all, modest is hottest haha)! I feel like this dress can be worn to a summer picnic, wedding, baby shower, on a date or just running errands. It’s so versatile, definitely a solid pick! But if you head out to find your own, here’s a few things to consider as you search for your next summer dress!
- Fabric: Obviously, for the summer you want to pick light fabrics that will keep you cool. But you also want to consider what type of fabric it is. How does it feel against your skin? Does it wrinkle easily? How easily do the wrinkles fade? And most importantly, can I wash this? Because let me tell you, I am not about that “dry clean only” life.
- Comfort: Comfortable, comfortable, comfortable. Comfort is key. Choose a dress that you love to wear. Consider whether or not you’ll have to constantly adjust your dress. How many straps is too many? Trust me, if you don’t know how to put the dress on…it might be too much. Ask yourself, “Can I wear a bra with this?”…or “Am I ok not wearing a bra with this?” I’m mean nobody wants to see side boob, right?
- Pattern: Pick a pattern you love, something you won’t get sick of or isn’t too bold that you’ll be self-conscious to wear. Sometimes more subtle patterns are easier to work with than something big and bold like cat faces in flowers, yes this dress does exist. Also think about if it can be dressed up or dressed down, I love being able to do both!
- Color: I love to find dresses that can be worn across seasons, like this maroon dress from last summer. Summer florals or a bright yellow may be tougher to transition into your fall wardrobe than a pale pink or olive green. Consider colors that can be paired with neutrals or other colors that are already in your closet.
- Price: Last but not least, show me the money! I’m always down for a deal so if I can find a dress for less than $50, I’m a pretty happy camper. I found this dress from Target for $24 or the Lush maxis from Nordstrom are always less than $40. But sometimes it can be worth it to splurge on a dress if you know you can wear it everywhere or all the time!
Happy dress shopping!!!
*This is not a sponsored post.